Being aware of the different issues of the world such as hunger, poverty, and corruption starts the burning desire to help those who are in need. Finding ways to help lessen and stop these problems can be done even through the smallest actions and do not really cost too much money or extra time. That is also the same with taking care of the environment. The environment is the habitat and source of resources of countless organisms, including human beings, so there is a need to take care of it as much as possible. Volunteering to take care of Mother Nature can be done in our own homes, backyards, and cities. Here are several ways to take care of our environment:
- Practice the 5Rs. The abbreviation 5R means Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose, and Recycle—this is the improved version of the 3R rule of Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Managing biodegradable, non-biodegradable, and recyclable materials efficiently is a big step towards improving the world’s environmental conditions. Informing other people about the 5Rs can also help achieving a global action for saving the environment.
- Buy CFC and HCFC-free appliances. There are many appliance companies who manufacture their products at the most eco-friendliest way possible, without making the consumers’ wallets suffer. Replacing old appliances with these CFC and HCFC-free ones can lessen the damages on the ozone layer.
- Use eco-friendly chemicals. People can start saving the environment by volunteering to ditch their favourite but harmful chemicals for eco-friendly ones. A particular environmental protection community in Denver encourages the use of organic and eco-friendly hair sprays, paints, pesticides, and fuels.
- Engage in tree planting. According to environment activists, people should plant ten tree seedlings for each tree cut. It can take even a decade or so to make a tree grow to its full growth, and there is also the chances of the seedlings to survive the growing process with all the natural disasters that happen around the world. As of now, only a few people engage in tree planting, thus the need to take action on convincing people to plant.
- Oppose community projects endangering ecosystems. Sometimes, businessmen propose community projects that harm different ecosystems, but are proposed for the expected profit. These projects must be opposed to prevent countless organisms to die or lose their own habitats.